How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
Personal injury claims can be confusing for many people.
If you have been injured in an accident or incident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, it can be difficult to know whether you have a valid personal injury claim or not.
In this blog post, we will provide you with some information on how to determine whether you have a personal injury claim and how you can get the help you need from an Atlanta personal injury lawyer.
Establishing Negligence Is Key to a Successful Injury Claim
To have a successful personal injury claim, you must establish that someone else’s negligence caused your injury.
Negligence means that the other party failed to act in a way that a reasonable person would have acted in the same situation. This failure to act can take many forms, including breaching a duty of care owed to you.
Breached duty is a central concept in personal injury law. It refers to a situation where someone owes a duty of care to another person and fails to meet that duty. For example, drivers owe a duty of care to other motorists on the road. If a driver breaches that duty by running a red light and causing an accident, they may be liable for any resulting injuries.
In a personal injury claim, you must prove that the other party breached their duty of care and that this breach caused your injuries. This can be challenging, and it’s one reason why it’s important to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you build a strong case.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims can arise from various situations, including accidents, intentional acts, and product defects.
Here are some of the most common types of personal injury claims:
- Motor vehicle accidents — Car accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accidents can cause serious injuries and property damage.
- Medical malpractice — Patients can suffer serious harm when doctors, nurses, or other medical professionals fail to provide adequate care.
- Product liability — Defective products can cause injuries or illnesses, and manufacturers or sellers may be liable for damages.
- Dog bites — Owners must keep their dogs under control, and they may be liable if their dog attacks and injures someone.
- Assault and battery — Intentional acts of violence can cause physical injuries, emotional trauma, and other damages.
- Wrongful death — If someone dies due to another party’s negligence, the surviving family members may be able to bring a wrongful death claim.
For example, if a store leaves a spill on the floor and someone slips and falls, the store may be liable for any resulting injuries.
If you have been injured in any of these situations or another accident caused by someone else’s negligence, it’s important to consult a personal injury lawyer.
Finding the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case
If you have determined that you have a personal injury claim, the next step is finding the right lawyer.
Here are some things to keep in mind when searching for a lawyer:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer with experience handling personal injury claims.
- Communication — You want an attorney that will take the time to listen to your case and provide you with the guidance you need.
- Availability — Some lawyers may be unable to take your case for various reasons. For example, they may be too busy with other clients.
- Merit — Alternatively, a lawyer may not believe your case has enough merit to justify the investment of time and resources required to pursue it.
If a lawyer decides not to take your case, get a second opinion. You may find that another attorney has a different perspective and is willing to take your case. Remember that opinions can differ from lawyer to lawyer. Finding a lawyer who will be upfront about your strengths and weaknesses is important.
Ultimately, the right personal injury lawyer can make all the difference in the success of your case. Take the time to find a lawyer that you trust and feel comfortable working with. With the right legal representation, you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers at Sawyer Injury Law
If you are unsure whether you have a valid personal injury claim, it’s important to consult with a personal injury lawyer.
An experienced personal injury lawyer at Sawyer Injury Law in Atlanta can review the facts of your case and determine whether you have a claim. It’s essential to have an attorney familiar with your state’s laws. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.