Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
As the victim of an Atlanta pedestrian accident, you need strong legal representation to ensure that your rights are protected. Unfortunately, pedestrians are often wrongly blamed for causing the collision between cars and themselves. Even the police routinely take the driver’s version of the story and assume that the pedestrian was jaywalking or actually “jumped in front” of the vehicle, as is the excuse many drivers give.
To ensure that you are fairly compensated by the negligent driver, you need to work with an experienced Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyer. Sawyer Injury Law has handled many pedestrian injury claims and can take on yours so that you are not left with mounting medical bills and potential debt that were caused by another person’s impatient or aggressive driving.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 5,977 pedestrians were killed nationally in 2017 while another 137,000 suffered injuries so severe that they had to visit an emergency room department. The most common causes of these unnecessary deaths and injuries include:
- The driver was speeding and unable to stop in time for the pedestrian. According to the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, a pedestrian has an 18 percent chance of injury if a driver is traveling at 20 mph but the risk goes up to 77 percent when a driver is going 40 mph.
- The driver had compromised coordination, reaction time, or visual acuity from being impaired behind the wheel;
- The driver was distracted by using their phone, another device, or others in the car with them;
- The driver failed to see the stop sign or abide by other road signs;
- The weather conditions led to poor visibility, such as a heavy rainstorm or slick conditions that make it harder for the driver to brake;
- When a driver is in a busy intersection and is paying attention to all the road traffic but fails to see a pedestrian when making a left turn across traffic;
- When a driver backs out of a parking space or a driveway without fully looking in the rearview mirrors, turning to look out the rear window, or using the backup camera to determine that their path is clear before moving; and
Contact an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
Pedestrians hit by a vehicle are likely to sustain injuries that take months, if not years, to recover from. In addition to physical recovery, these accidents take an emotional toll on a victim. The Atlanta pedestrian accident attorney at Sawyer Injury Law understands how difficult this time period is for the injured person and their family. We work hard to ensure we get you the best possible outcome for your case so that you can have a bright future.
We urge you to seek legal counsel before discussing your case with the other party or the other party’s insurance company. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.