Atlanta Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
Thousands of lives are lost because we rely on motor vehicles. Hundreds of thousands of workers are seriously or critically injured because of cars, trucks, SUVs, and other automobiles, whether it is a personal car or company car.
If you were injured on the job, even if you were not actively working. However, if you were still “on the clock,” you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party, in addition to receiving workers’ compensation benefits.
We encourage you to discuss workplace automobile accidents with an experienced Atlanta commercial vehicle accident lawyer at a free consultation at Sawyer Injury Law to find out if this is possible. You may be covered under the doctrine of vicarious liability.
Third-Party Personal Injury Claim Vs. a Workers’ Compensation Claim
Workers’ compensation is no-fault insurance that all employees are obligated to provide to their employees. If you get injured on the job, your employer is legally bound to provide medical care and wage replacement benefits. These benefits can be delivered quickly, in a matter of weeks, by filing a claim with your employer.
A third-party liability claim, unlike workers’ compensation, is fault-based. Car accident victims must be able to prove that the defendant caused the accident due to negligence. This lawsuit takes much longer to resolve, but the benefits are much more significant.
Instead of receiving medical care and partial wage replacement, you can receive all of the following:
- Full lost wages and lost earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Loss of joy in life;
- Medical bills and future medical needs;
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses and physical therapy;
- Property damage; and
In a motor vehicle accident, it is best to file a workers’ compensation claim with your employer and file a third-party personal injury lawsuit against the party who actually caused the crash or collision. By doing this, you maximize your compensation while ensuring that your immediate medical and financial needs are met by workers’ comp.
Examples of Workplace Automobile Accidents
As convenient as they are, cars kill. They are the number one cause of workplace deaths in the U.S., according to the CDC. Workplace vehicle accidents can happen in many ways, leaving an employer liable.
These are accidents that can take place with the company vehicle:
- Parking lot accidents—In general, employees struck in the parking lot, whether on their way to work or on their way home, can sue the driver who struck them, in addition to claiming workers’ compensation.
- Hit while driving for work—Many jobs require employees to drive on the clock. Delivery workers, truckers, contractors, salespeople, and many other types of professionals spend time behind the wheel of a car on the job, and they have every right to sue the negligent driver who hits them.
- Construction zone accidents—Highway and roadway construction zones are inherently dangerous. There are approximately 17,000 collisions in Georgia work zones each year, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
- Defective auto parts—Defective airbags, tire blowouts, brakes, and other auto parts can kill. You might be able to sue the manufacturer if a bad part caused your crash.
Retain a car accident attorney from Sawyer Injury Law; we are well-versed in work-related car accidents. We’ve heard it all. For example, employers may say they shouldn’t be liable because the driver was doing personal errands. We will help to secure your worker’s compensation benefits.
A work-related car accident can set you back significantly, and the process involved is more complicated than what is involved with your own personal vehicle. Let us go head-to-head with the insurance company.
Related Practice Areas
We don’t just represent in work-related car accidents. Sawyer Injury Law is a personal injury firm with skills in many different areas of law.
We can represent you in the following practice areas:
- Personal injury
- Premises liability
- Municipal claims
- Litigation consulting
- Catastrophic accidents
- Wrongful death
Contact an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer
Were you in a workplace vehicle accident? Car accidents are an unfortunate part of American life. They are a leading cause of serious injury for on-the-job workers.
You can seek total financial compensation from the at-fault party by working with the Atlanta workplace automobile accident attorneys at Sawyer Injury Law. Tell us how the accident occurred. Schedule your free consultation today.